How to jailbreak iOS 4.1 using limera1n
This is it. What most iPod Touch users are waiting for especially iPad and iPod Touch 4G users, the iOS 4.1 jailbreak. This limera1n jailbreak is courtesy of geohot, the creator of blackra1n which I used in my iOS 3.1.2 jailbreak guide. Hats off to the man!
This jailbreak works for the iPhone 3GS and 4 (not the baseband unlock), iPod Touch 3G and 4G, and the iPad so this guide is the same for all.
Anyway let’s get on with the guide. I used my iPod Touch 4G for this guide so it already comes with iOS 4.1. You will also need:
- iOS 4.1 which you can upgrade via iTunes
- An internet connection on your iPod Touch to download Cydia
Upon downloading Limera1n and plugging your iPod just follow these steps:
1. Start limera1n and click make it rain.
2. It will enter recovery mode and wait till it prompts you to hold home + power.
This process will bring your iPod to enter DFU mode. What you need to do is hold home + power button for 7 seconds. Release power button while still holding the home button for 7 seconds more. Don’t worry about getting it wrong since you can try again.
3. Once done, you will get this message while it reboots your device.
4. After rebooting, you will see limera1n on your iPod. As a laste step, Cydia needs to be installed next. Click limera1n.
5. From there you can install Cydia. Click Install and it will download and install Cydia. You need an internet connection on your iPod for this. If you run into timeout problems here, just try and try again. Their server maybe overloaded.
6. Once, done you’ll see Cydia. Be sure to run Cydia so it will download necessary resources and packages.
If you see a blank icon on your Cydia and limera1n, just reboot your device.
Your jailbreak is complete. So what can you do next? Well first thing you might want to do is install Appsync 4.1 so you can… you know. Install those free games. You can find the guide on how to add a Cydia source here but choose Appsync 4.1 instead.
Geohot said this jailbreak is future-proof meaning you don’t have to jailbreak again even if you need to update your firmware. Woohoo!