If you got yourself a new iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone, chances are, you’re automatically on iOS6. And if you don’t know, Apple removed YouTube and Google Maps from iOS6 devices. There’s Apple Maps installed but it just doesn’t work as good as Google especially if you’re outside the US.
It’s a good thing that Apple recently brought back Google Maps into the App Store. However, it’s not available to Philippine iTunes accounts. If you search for it in the App Store, a bunch of Google Maps-related apps appear but none from the big “G”.
So how can you get Google Maps on your iOS6 device? Well, change your iTunes account region! Don’t know how? Here’s a step-by-step guide.
1. On your iDevice, open your App Store and scroll down until you see your Apple ID at the bottom. Click your ID.
2. Click View Apple ID.
3. Click Country/Region.
4. Select a different country from the drop-down list. I chose Hong Kong. Click Done.
5. Click Agree.
6. Click Next in the Billing Information page.
7. And that’s done. You will receive an e-mail notifying you of the change.
8. Now go and Search for Google Maps and you’ll see the official app from Google in the results page! Install and Enjoy!
Just repeat the above steps to change it back to PH or else you’ll be purchasing paid apps in HKD.
I don’t know why Apple didn’t make it available here in the Philippines but it’s a very useful map app that should be installed in your iDevice. I used it to navigate my way to Fairview to visit a relative’s house and it was pretty helpful.
Filed under: iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad